In wrongful restraint the person in restraint can proceed in other direction than the one in which he claims that he has a right to proceed, i.e., there is only a partial restraint; while in wrongful confinement the person confined cannot proceed beyond certain limits in all directions; the restraint is as such of a graver degree than in wrongful restraint. The restraint may be caused physically as well as by oral threats.
A places men with firearms at the outlet of a building and tells X that these men will fire if you attempt to leave the building. A commits the offence of wrongful confinement.
The offences under this group are:
(1) Wrongfully restraining any person; Punishment Simple imprisonment upto one month or fine upto Rs. 500 or both (Section 341).
(2) Wrongfully confining a person; Punishment Imprisonment of either description upto one year or fine upto Rs. 1,000 or both (Section 342).
(3) Wrongfully confining a person for 3 days or more; Punishment Imprisonment of either description upto 2 years or fine or both (Section 343).
(4) Wrongfully confining a person for 10 days or more; Punishment Imprisonment, of either description upto 3 years and fine (Section 344).
(5) Keeping any person in wrongful confinement knowing that a writ for liberation of that person has been duly issued; [Punishment- Imprisonment of either description upto 2 years in addition to any term of imprisonment provided by any other section of this Chapter] (Section 345).
(6) Wrongfully confining any person in such manner as to indicate an intention that confinement of such person may not be known to any person interested in the person so confined or to any public servant or that the place of such confinement may not be known to or discovered by any such person or public servant as hereinbefore mentioned; [Punishment—Imprisonment of either description upto. 2 years in addition to any punishment provided for such wrongful confinement] (Section 346).
(7) Wrongfully confining any person for the purpose of extorting from the person confined or from any person interested in the person confined, any property or valuable security or for the purpose of constraining the person confined or any person interested in such person to do anything illegal or to give information which may facilitate the commission of an offence;
[Punishment—Imprisonment of either description upto 3 years and fine] (Section 347).
(8) Wrongful confinement for the purpose of extorting confession or information which may lead to the detection of an offence, or compelling restoration of any property or valuable security or the satisfaction of any claim or demand or information which may lead to the restoration of any property or valuable security.