388 words short essay on A House on Fire

388 words short essay on A House on Fire (free to read). Fire is a good servant but a bad master. Like all other accidents, fire accidents also usually take place because of some human failure.

The result is, however, disastrous. Fire spreads quickly and can cause huge loss to life and property. A terrible fire accident took place in my neighborhood last week.

It was midnight. I was having a sound sleep on the roof of the house. Suddenly, I head the cries, “Fire! Fire!” At first, I thought I was only dreaming. But soon I heard a loud noise and the sound of heavy footsteps in the street. I stood up from my bed and looked around. It did not take me much time in realizing that the house of a wealthy mer­chant some seven or eight houses away was on fire as the sky was all lit with flames and fiery sparks.

I scampered downstairs in no time and rushed to the venue of the fire. The shining, sharp-tongued flames were bursting out of every nook and corner of the palatial house. The owners were on the street. They were beating their breasts helplessly. Their half- burnt household articles were lying scattered here and there. A large crowd of people had gathered there. Some were bringing buckets full of water and sand. The others were emptying the same on flames, but in vain.

It was discovered that the little child of the merchant was left in the house. The child’s mother was trying to rush towards the burning house and the people were holding her back. Spontaneously I rushed inside the house at great risk of my life and brought the child unharmed in my arms. I got some burns which were later cured in a hospital. All the people held their breath. The child’s mother sobbed and hugged the baby. She kissed my forehead, saying, and “My son!” She could not even utter words to thank me. Meanwhile two fire brigade engines arrived and brought the fire under control in about an hour. The adjoining houses were fortunately saved. Loss to property was esti­mated at four lakhs, but thank God, there was no loss of life.

It was then learnt that the embers left burning in the hearth which was placed in the courtyard had caused the fire, the softly blowing wind having further fanned it.